Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Teacher's Responsibility

I think that if you are going to teach, especially in a large ethnically diverse setting, having some basic knowledge about a culture will give you a big leg up. When you show the students you respect their culture and way of life, it will make it a lot easier to bridge that gap. The teaching profession is a life long learning journey in which getting familiar with other cultures should definetly be a part of. Teaching overseas is something I could possibly be looking forward to do after graduation, so I will definetly have the responsibility to familiarize myself with the culture of the country I go to. Peoples beliefs and way of life differ throughout the world, so you can not approach any teaching situation the same as the one before. By being around different cultures, it will create a more rounded individual as well.

1 comment:

Debra Dirksen said...

I like your view about being around other cultures helping you become a more well rounded person. I agree. Sometimes we like to hide in our own little comfort zone and are afraid to step outside of that box. I'm glad you're willing to do that!