Thursday, April 5, 2007

Standards-Based Education and Assessment

One type of assessment that I remember very well was when I took the English and Math placement tests at Aims so I could enroll in classes here. I had not taken the ACT nor the SAT test in high school. The questions on the test started out being rather easy, and got harder and harder as the test went on. I felt that a lot of the questions tested your ability to remember what you have memorized in years past. I did not have to turn in any work because all the questions were multiple choice. The reading portion did test your ability to read on a upper elementary to middle school level, so I guess that was used to see if you read the text books that you would buy later on. So in asnwering the question of whether or not it really tested what I knew how to do, I really do not think so.

1 comment:

Debra Dirksen said...

That reminds me of when I had to take to the National Teacher Exam when I got my license in New Mexico. As long as you took the test each year you didn't even have to pass it. I taught math and the math test was no higher than 8th grade math. To me that was scary if that was all we were expecting of teachers.

I'd like to know more about the rest of your response that was included: "Describe experiences that you think really helped you express what you know and can do. What characteristics of the assessment enabled you to express your understanding?"

Have you ever taken a test that really did let express what you know and can do? How did it do that?